I’m a big lover of porridge, as anyone who followed my old blog (Woolly Whiskers) may know. It’s filling and comforting – just what I need in the morning, especially before an early morning lecture!
Another great thing about porridge is that it’s easy to customise. On a low energy day, or when my appetite is struggling, I use Ready Brek style oats with a little sugar and jam. In the summer, I add as many fresh berries as I can fit into the bowl.
I’ve eaten the same porridge almost every morning for the last week – it’s just that good! It tastes sweet and indulgent – but it gives you 2 of your 5 a day, and there’s no refined sugar involved. The perfect treat to start your day.
5 minute cacao & date porridge bowl
(and that includes the prep work!)
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use soya or almond)
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- A handful of pitted dates
- One ripe banana
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
1. Put the oats, milk, and cacao nibs into a microwave-safe bowl
2. Cut the dates into small pieces and stir into the porridge mix
3. Put the bowl in the microwave at full power for 1 1/2 minutes, at full power
4. Meanwhile, slice the banana
5. Stir the porridge and return it to the microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes (give or take depending on how thick you like it) – keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn’t turn into a volcano!
6. When the porridge is cooked, give it a stir, and put your sliced banana on top
7. I like to top mine with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup, but you can flavour yours however you like it!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And if you think of any yummy variations, let me know – I’m always on the lookout for new ways to enjoy my oats!
Maisie Rose x